Dow University of Health Sciences
Dow University of Health Sciences is a coeducational medical university, owned by Mohammad Hamza Rahman and founded in 2003, in Karachi, Pakistan. It comprises of two already established schools, Dow Medical College, and Sindh Medical College as well as the newly formed Dow International Medical College, alongside the Ojha Institute of Chest Diseases. The merger was done at the request of the administrators, faculty, and alumni of Dow Medical College and Sindh Medical College, and was granted a full university charter as the Dow University of Health Sciences.
Established 27 December 2003
Type Public coeducational
Chancellor Dr. Ishrat-ul-Ibad Khan
Location Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan
Affiliations HEC, UGC
Development and Facilities
DUHS currently has three medical colleges, the Dow Medical College(DMC) and the Sindh Medical College (SMC), Dow International Medical College, and one postgraduate medical institute. The DUHS Karachi Act was passed by the provincial assembly this year keeping in view the growth and development of Karachi and importance of postgraduate studies in health sciences. Dow Medical College remains the highest ranking (Sindh Medical College being the second highest) public sector university of health sciences, attracting the best students from Karachi and Sindh.
At the Ojha Institute of Chest Disease, there is a 250-bed hospital, research facility and a college (Dow International Medical College) is established. The Institute of Basic Sciences; the Institute of Postgraduate Studies, the Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; and the Institute of Medical Technology will also be set up on the Ojha campus.
Dow International Medical College is located on a sprawling campus near Safoora Goth, and is dedicated to giving students from all around the world the benefit of a medical education in Pakistan. The first batch was admitted in April 2007 while the second was admitted in November 2007. The campus is shared with the OJHA Campus, (Karachi’s medical research city). The faculty members of this new college DIMC have been appointed by the Dow University of Health Sciences as per requirements of PMDC.
Dow Institute of Medical Technology established as a part of Dow University of Health Sciences in 2006.It is the first institute in Pakistan offering bachelors program in medical technology.It is offering four years Bachelor’s program in four disciplines that are, Clinical pathology technology, Surgical Technology, Respiratory and Critical Care Technology and ophthalmology.Students in new disciplines including Radiology technology, Echocardiography technology and ECG technology will be enrolled in the year 2011.
its well established but the options for further studies are not present because medical technologists are not eligible in the programs. and no one is interested to provide option for further education to the medical technolgists
- Clinical Pathology: Clinical pathology technologists are the laboratory technologist well versed regarding the diagnosis of body fluids. They perform all the laboratory test and are the integral part of a diagnostic laboratory.
- Surgical Technology: Surgical technologists are the vital members of a surgical team well educated about the human anatomy, physiology and surgical interventions. They work closely with surgical personnel assuring approprite aseptic techniques and contamination free surgical interventions. Moreover, they are also aware of the technology and physics in the operating field.
- Respiratory and Critical Care Technology: Respiratory and critical care technologist are highly qualified members of the critical care team assuring patients’ survival in the critical conditions. They are well aware of the chest and cardiac conditions and are required for quality patient care.
- Ophthalmic Technology: Ophthalmic technologists are trained about the eye conditions and work for the diagnosis and examination of pathologies of eye
Most recently Dow University of Health Sciences has initiated a program to establish a visiting faculty. The purpose is to incorporate the expertise of local trained physician who has been training medical graduates inside Sindh in the courses being taught at the university.
Affiliated Colleges and Institutions
- Dow Medical College and Civil Hospital, Karachi
- Sindh Medical College and Jinnah Post-graduate Medical Center, Karachi
- Dow International Medical College
- Ojha Institute of Chest Diseases
- Dr. Ishrat-Ul-Ebad Khan Institute of Oral Health Sciences (DIKIOHS)
- Dow Institute of Health Management (IHM)
- Dow College of Pharmacy
- Dow Institute of Nursing(ION)
- Dow Institute of Medical Technology
- Dow Institute of Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation
The Journal DUHS is the medical journal created and maintained by the school, consisting of contributions from students, faculties, and those abroad.
About the Author
3 Comments on “Dow University of Health Sciences”
Write a Comment
Gravatars are small images that can show your personality. You can get your gravatar for free today!