Government National College (Karachi)
Government National College, Karachi was founded by a group of dedicated teachers and city philanthropists as “National College” in 1956 under the umbrella of the National Educational Society, established in 1954. The society consisted of Mr. Saudagar Darwesh (president), Professor Hasan Adil (secretary), Professor Hasnain Kazmi, Mr. Asghar Hussain (advocate), Mr. M. M. Malik and Mr. Shamsuz Zaman (advocate). The college was headed by Professor Hasan Adil from March 1956 through September 1972. It was nationalized on September 1, 1972. The college operated under a double-shift programme until 1993, when the evening shift of the college was granted the status of a separate and independent college by the Provincial Government.
Government National College is the biggest college of Karachi being run under one roof, with all the three faculties of Science, Arts and Commerce up to degree level being affiliated with the University of Karachi.
Government National College, Karachi is undergoing rapid evolution. A department of Computer Science was added to its science faculty in 1996, when Computer Science was offered at intermediate level for the first time in any government college of Karachi. Computer Science at B.Sc. level was introduced in 1998. It is one of the top computer science faculty institutions in Pakistan.
Government of Sindh, with the concept that information technology education should come within the reach of common people, introduced a three-year Bachelor in Computer Science (B.C.S.) program in ten public sector colleges of the province in 2001. Government National College, Karachi had the honor of being the first selectee for this program. Government of Sindh and the college administration took the project on a war-footing and now the BCS block has fully equipped laboratories, well-furnished classrooms, and an independent library containing several hundred books of various disciplines.
Government National College, Karachi, is located in Karachi Memon Co-operative Housing Society (KMCHS), Gulshan-e-Iqbal Town, Karachi-74800, between Shaheed-e-Millat and Alamgir Roads.
The beautiful campus of the College extends to an area of 1.75 acres (7,100 m2) and consists of three blocks: Science, Arts and Commerce. The College has 30 lecture rooms, which are spacious, airy and well illuminated. The laboratories are well equipped.
In front of the main building there are verdant lawns and flowerbeds along the walkways.
There is a large, centrally located auditorium named after Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, a renowned educationist, a Muslim reformer, a freedom fighter and the founder of Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh. A part of the auditorium serves as indoor games hall.
The campus library is a two-story building, the upper story of which serves as a place for researchers. The lower story serves as a reading hall for students. Presently, the library has more than 25,000 books on different subjects. The leading dailies of the country are available in the Reading Hall.
The library was recently equipped with four computers for study purposes. They are loaded with dictionaries and encyclopedias for the students’ quick reference.
About the Author
One Comment on “Government National College (Karachi)”
Write a Comment
Gravatars are small images that can show your personality. You can get your gravatar for free today!