University of Gujrat
The University of Gujrat is one of the new major public sector universities in Punjab. The university was established under Act IX of 2004 by Government of Punjab, Pakistan on February 23, 2004 to cater for the higher education needs of the population of Central Punjab which includes districts of Gujrat, Sialkot and Gujranwala in addition to city of Wazirabad. These districts are popularly known as the Export Triangle of Pakistan due to various manufacturing industries operating in the area. Sir Syed Ahmad Khan (1817–1898) founder of Aligarh Muslim University had named the region around Gujrat as “Khita-e-Younan”, or “territory resembling ancient Greece”, in reference to the high number of educational institutes present in the area in the 19th century. The University is promoting research and development culture in the area. A large number of students from Bhimber Azad Kashmir also study in the university.
The Main Campus has been named after a local sufi saint Hafiz Muhammad Hayat. Situated prominently in the University of Gujrat campus, the shrine of Hafiz Hayat is an exquisite complex in terms of its architecture, site planning and landscape design. It is located on a mound six feet high above the Terre plain. The site contains a haveli, summerhouse (baradari), mosque, four tombs of varying dimensions, several graves, seven wells and numerous old trees. The mound on which the construction was carried out belonged to the Raja Kaladhvi and was surrounded by a dense forest at that time. Hafiz Hayat settled in the area and helped people with his spiritual charisma. Although the exact dates are not known yet according to popular belief it was at the time of Emperor Jahangir. The saint donated his entire land holding to the then state authorities for the cause of education. The main campus of UOG has been constructed on that very land donated by Hafiz Muhammad Hayat.
The creation of the University of Gujrat was the brainchild of Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi, who was chief minister of Punjab from 2002 to 2007. Prof. Dr. Muhammad Nizamuddin is the Vice Chancellor of University of Gujrat. He was awarded the “Nineteenth Star Award 2008” and selected as the “Man of the Year 2008” in the field of education in recognition of his outstanding achievements. The award ascribing agency, South Asia Publications also included the name of Vice Chancellor in the list of “Who’s Who in Pakistan 2008.”
Chancellor Governer Latif Khosa
Vice-Chancellor Prof. Dr. Mohammad Nizamuddin
Location Gujrat, Punjab, Pakistan
- UOG Main Hafiz Hayat Campus
- UOG college for boys GT road Gujrat
- UOG college for women Railway road Gujrat
- UOG college for women Fawara chauk Gujrat
- UOG college for women Marghzar colony Gujrat
The major developmental works at the main campus have already been completed and are currently operational. The new campus of university of Gujrat (UOG) has been built over 1000 canals, about 12 km away from Gujrat City. Renowned architects have designed purpose-built classrooms, a digital library, conference halls, multi-story buildings for various departments of science and technology, social sciences, humanities, arts, crafts and product design, engineering, information technology and management. Laboratories, a videoconferencing facility, horticulturally designed lush green lawns, separate hostels for boys and girls, playgrounds, a swimming pool, and residences for teachers and other staff members have been completed or are expected to be completed soon.
- School of Art and Design
- Faculty of Basic Sciences
- School of Business and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology
- Faculty of Engineering and Technology
- School of Law
- Department of Mass Communication and Media
- Faculty of Oriental and Islamic Studies
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Nawaz Sharif Medical College
- Centre for Population, Urban and Environment Studies
- Centre For Emerging Technologies
- Centre for Research and Development
- Modern Languages and Learning Centre
The University is offering degree programs ranging from 4 years BSC Engineering , B.A, BBA(Hons), 2 years M.A, MBA, MCOM, MSC and 2 years M.Phil programs in various disciplines following the guidelines of the Higher Education Commission (HEC). The MBBS programme at the Nawaz Sharif Medical College is accredited by the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council
97 research papers have been published in foreign and Pakistani journals in a span of 4 years. Presently the following research groups are functioning in almost all the departments. The research groups include:
- Intelligence and Robotics Research
- Social Service Research Group
- Next Generation Network Research Group
- Data Mining and Statistical Research
- Total Quality Management
- Product Design Research
- Learning Resources Centre
- Student Services Centre
- Sports and Leisure
- Transport Facility (Fleet of buses, mini buses and vans)
- Separate Hostel for Male and Female Hostel Facility
- Separate hostel accommodation male and female students which includes Mess, Mosque, TV, Phone, Newspapers, Guest Rooms, Common Room, Computer Room, Electric Water Coolers, Gymnasium, Laundry, Water Facilities, Outdoor Games, Water Heaters, Electrical/Plumbing Maintenance, Sui-Gas Heaters/Lamps/Air Cooler.
- Staff Accommodation
- UOG Guest House
In addition to the main library, there are four constituent college’s libraries. There are about 70,000 books available in all five libraries. A wide variety of online full-text journals’ databases are available including HEC PERN project. Thousands of digital books can be accessed through the library website on a variety of subjects.
- Network of about 1500 computers
- Two general purpose labs, equipped with computers
- Classrooms are equipped with multimedia facility
- Free internet access all over the campus
- Computer labs in both hostels
- Wireless internet is available in the campus
The University has academic and research links with Victoria University, Australia , Karachi University, University of the Punjab, University of Central Lancashire in U.K and Culcom University of Oslo in Norway . In addition MOU’s for external linkages have been signed with Education & Training International Western Australia, Gazi University Ankara, Mississippi State University, Fatima Jinnah Women University Rawalpindi, National University of Modern Languages Islamabad, Government College University, Faisalabad, Punjab Bureau of Statistic, Gujrat Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Gujranwala Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Sialkot Chamber of Commerce & Industry.
Transmissions of FM 106.06 Campus Radio started at Hafiz Hayat Campus on October 1, 2009 and are broadcast on daily basis.
About the Author
One Comment on “University of Gujrat”
Write a Comment
Gravatars are small images that can show your personality. You can get your gravatar for free today!