Virtual University of Pakistan
The Virtual University of Pakistan (French: Université Virtuelle du Pakistan) is the first university in Pakistan based entirely on modern information and communication technologies. It was established by the Government of Pakistan as a public sector, not-for-profit institution, with a mission to provide education to students all over the country and abroad. Using free-to-air satellite television broadcasts and the internet, the virtual university allows students to follow its programs regardless of physical location.
Type Research, Management Sciences and Computer Science
Vice-Chancellor Prof Dr Naveed A. Malik
Location , Lahore, Pakistan
Virtual University holds a federal charter from the Government of Pakistan and gets a federal recognition from the Higher Education Commission, Pakistan.
Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology
- BS Computer Science
- BS Information Technology
Faculty of Management
- BS Business Administration
- BS Public Administration
- BS Management
- BS Marketing
- BS Bachelor of Business and Information Technology (BBIT)
Faculty of Arts
- BS Accounting and Finance
- BS Commerce
- BS Commerce for B.Com degree holders
- BS Mass Communication
- BS Psychology
- BS Banking and Finance
Duration: A four-year full-time study program spread over eight semesters. Each semester has at least 18 weeks duration for teaching and examinations.
MSCS (2 year/4 semester, 30 credit hours) study program for candidates having 16 years of education.
MBA (Master of Business Administration)
- MBA (3 ½ year/7 semester, 96 credit hours) study program for candidates having 14 years of education.
- MBA (2 ½ year/5 semester, 72 credit hours) study program for candidates having 16 years of non-business education.
- MBA (Executive) 2 year/4 semester, 72 credit hours for candidates having 14 years of education with four years job experience.
- MBA (1 ½ year/3 semester, 36 credit hours) for candidates having BBA/BS (BA) 4 year program.
Masters Programs For VU graduates
- MCS Master of Computer Science for VU graduates
- MIT Master of Information Technology for VU graduates
- MBA Master of Business Administration for VU graduates
Master’s Degree Programs
Students who have completed their Bachelor’s degree (with at least 45% marks) from a recognized university or institution can apply for admission to Master of Computer Science (MCS), Master of Information Technology (MIT) and Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs. These programs comprise seventy-two credit hours each, spread over four semesters.
Students completing their 16-year education in computer science and information technology field are given admission to this advanced level degree program. According to HEC criteria, these degrees are equivalent to an MPhil program offered by any other university in the country.
Virtual University was founded in 2002 since which it has expanded operations to reach more than sixty cities throughout the country with more than one hundred associated institutions providing infrastructure support to students. In addition, Pakistani students residing in several other countries in the region are also enrolled in the University’s programs.
Virtual University has two types of campuses, its own, and those that are run by other organizations. These private campuses use buildings in private institutions in cities. These facilities are required to have a computer lab and Internet access.
VU is only the university of Pakistan which provides distant learning. The students can get lectures without going to the campuses of VU. VU lectures can be seen on VU’s cable channels (VTV1, VTV2, VTV3 & VTV4).
Milestones and achievements
- VU feasibility study final feasibility. December 8, 2001
- President of Pakistan inaugurated the Virtual University of Pakistan. March 23, 2002
- First batch of 500 students starts classes. March 26, 2002
- Federal Charter granted by Government of Pakistan. September 1, 2002
- VU start broadcasts over its own TV channels VTV1 and VTV2. June 15, 2004
- VU selected as coordinating institute of multi-country IDRC funded project. March 1, 2005
- VU puts is lectures on Youtube November, 2005
- Launch of MCS, MIT and MBA programs. March 6, 2006
- Launch of two new TV channels VTV3, & VTV4. September 26, 2006
- VU becomes an Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) member. November 7, 2006
- VU agreement with Ujala TV Dubai to telecast VU programs. November 30, 2006.
- VU agreement with University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences to offer joint BS Bio-informatics program. May 25, 2007
- Launch of MS program in Computer Science. Fall 2007
- Launch of B.A., B.Com., B.Sc. (2-year programs). Fall 2009″
- VU launch its in-house developed LMS (Learning Management System)and other MIS(s) by IT Department. Spring 2009
- Virtual University of Pakistan held its first Convocation on Tuesday 18 May 2010 simultaneously at Peshawar, Rawalpindi, Lahore, Jamshoro, Karachi and Quetta.
About the Author
One Comment on “Virtual University of Pakistan”
Write a Comment
Gravatars are small images that can show your personality. You can get your gravatar for free today!
You must be logged in to post a comment.